Continue to LawRato.com with Google


Can a married daughter claim share in ancestral property?

i am married women from 2007 with 3 children i have 4 sisters and brothers my parents are alive i want to know how to get my share from my parents according to law the property belongs to my parents is our grand parents property

Answers (3)

First of all you have to mention about the property of your parents. Whether the property is self acquired by your parents or acquired from the ancestors. If the property is self acquired by your father/parents, then you have no right to claim. If the property is an ancestral (acquired from your grand fathers) then you can claim your share by way of filing a Partition Suit

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

If property was not alianated so far you are eligible in your ancestral property even if you married in 2007. After amendment to HS act in 2005 all the son's and daughters having equal share in intestated property.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
18 years Experience
Advocate Preeti Joshi
District Court, Gurgaon
10 years Experience
Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar
Connaught Place, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Harish Malhotra
District Court, Gurgaon
21 years Experience


Presuming that you are Hindu, you have equal rights along with your other siblings in the ancestral property post amendment in the Hindu Succession Act 1956. You can approach the jurisdictional civil court and file a suit for partition of the property and for claiming your share in the property.

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Similar questions

As a victim of domestic violence I have been suffering from all sorts of violence those are mentioned under pwdva 2005 and the accused are my parents …

Read More

X bought agri land. He died intestate. His 6 sons divided (partitioned) the property. Son A got a share (property F). Son A had also acquired (self-ea…

Read More

Can my dad do a gift deed of his ancestral property to his 3 kids . This ancestral agricultural property is pending for pody to be done through survey…

Read More

I am 45 years old married living with my father along with family in our ancestral home. Right now I am jobless and managing family expenses through e…

Read More

Get free assistance for your legal issue