×

Can a married daughter claim share in ancestral property?

i am married women from 2007 with 3 children i have 4 sisters and brothers my parents are alive i want to know how to get my share from my parents according to law the property belongs to my parents is our grand parents property

First of all you have to mention about the property of your parents. Whether the property is self acquired by your parents or acquired from the ancestors. If the property is self acquired by your father/parents, then you have no right to claim. If the property is an ancestral (acquired from your grand fathers) then you can claim your share by way of filing a Partition Suit

If property was not alianated so far you are eligible in your ancestral property even if you married in 2007. After amendment to HS act in 2005 all the son's and daughters having equal share in intestated property.

Advocate Preeti Joshi

Madam,

Presuming that you are Hindu, you have equal rights along with your other siblings in the ancestral property post amendment in the Hindu Succession Act 1956. You can approach the jurisdictional civil court and file a suit for partition of the property and for claiming your share in the property.