Clarification on making relinquishment deed in favour of brother

 I have a joint property, which is registered under my name, my father and my brother's name. Even there was a home loan sanctioned in all the names. We have closed the loan recently and now myself and my father want to release our shares to my brother and only my brother should be the sole owner. 1. Should the deed be registered and how much it cost ? 2. Is there any compensation to be paid compulsorily from my brother to me and my father although we are not seeking for it? 3. What are the implications to make it a legal document so that it can be produced in court as a proof that the property now belongs to only my brother and nobody else has any rights over it? Kindly advice.

Answers (2)

66 votes

Hello, yes your father and yourself can relinquish your rights over the property by executing relinquishment deed. Registration of the deed is cumpolsory. With regard to the compensation or monetary issues it is upto you and your father to seek compensation in terms of money.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

231 votes

You and your father can release your rights in favour of your brother OR
You may gift the same to him
In both events the document should be registered
Since it is between father son and brother the stamp duty will be nominal when compared to the regular charrges

Popular Documentation Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Prerna Oberoi
Sector 41, Noida
7 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
LH House, Bangalore
13 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

Sir, Whether a GPA of the purchaser can sign in Consent DEED.…

Read More

Does the original missing / misplaced Deed (of certain property) become “Invalid” – once Certified Copy is made (through proper lega…

Read More

Plz help me out regiatration to sell is done on wife name but i want to change it on my mom name can i change in sell deed…

Read More

Can a relinquishment document signed and attested by the Indian Embassy in USA be registered here in Gurgaon for the sake of transferring property fro…

Read More