Remedies to be taken from wife as not giving me divorce and threatning

I am Hindu, want divorce from wife but she and her family is not ready to give, instead they are giving me a threat that they will burn me alive or will take all my family members to jail, doesn't know in what behalf or what allegations they are saying this. My and my family life is under threat don't know what to do

Answers (6)

348 votes

Hi, You need to provide other details such as when your marriage took place and why you want divorce. However, in any circumstances such life threats or threats of jail etc amounts to cruelty. You can file divorce case and you must intimate the local police for such threats. Kindly contact a lawyer.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

246 votes

Though family laws are more skewed towards women but a good lawyer shall provide you sufficient protection from misuse of law and nowadays even higher courts have acknowledged and shown the intent of stopping its misuse. You can file a police complaint regarding the threats to you and your family for a start. For divorce its always better to have mutual consent but if not you need specific grounds to take a contested divorce.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
57 votes

If your wife is not giving you divorce then you can file for a contested divorce on the grounds of cruelty under section 13 of HMA. There are two kinds of divorce procedures. 1. By mutual consent - where both husband and wife agree to grant divorce. 2. Contested Divorce - when there is no mutual consent, but one of the spouse wants divorce.
To safeguard yourself and your family from her threats you can file a complaint with the local police station. The police complaint will adequately suffice to protect you and your family in case your wife files a complaint under 498A IPC. Your police complaint will also help you in making a better case for grant of divorce.

173 votes

First of all ,what are the issues on the basis of which you want Divorce ?If she is abusive and misbehave with you or your family members as its seem through their conduct of threating ,this could be a valid ground.
Secondly you need not to worry about their threat ,you could lodge FIR against them .

336 votes

जैसा भी आपने बताया, उसके अनुसार तो सबसे पहले आपको निकट के पुलिस थाने में इस संबंध में रिपोर्ट दर्ज कराना चाहिए ।
दूसरा, यदि आपके पास जो कुछ भी आप बता रहे हैं, उस बात के पुख्ता सबूत हैं, तो आप संबंधित परिवार न्यायालय में "क्रूरता" के आधार पर तलाक हेतु याचिका दायर कर सकते हैं।

136 votes

You must consult an advocate Of your place. Share full details and evidence. You can seek divorce but you will have to prove your allegations. There are limited grounds on which you can ask for divorce.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles