Procedure to file for mutual divorce already separated for 4 years.

Dear Sir / Madam, Husband is living in different district and wife is living in different district for more than 4 years. Please let me know, where to file the divorce case, either husband district court or wife district court or High court? How much time it will take to get divorce if they both or mutually agreed for divorce since they are living seperately for more than 4 years. Awaiting your valuable reply. Best Regards 

Answers (6)

83 votes

If the parties decided to end their matrimonial life,

A divorce by mutual consent can be filed where the parties last resided.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

301 votes

Hi the mutual divorce can be filed in place of marriage where u got marrried and place where u lived as family and where the husband and wife living v can file petition Hindu , Christian and Muslim and all having separate procedure

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
242 votes

U can't file divorce case in the high court straight away. You must file before the family court. The jurisdiction is like this that any one of the spouse has a right to file the case where the marriage has taken place or where they live together in the last known address or where the wife resides. Choose the option and go ahead

108 votes

Where are you married or which district both of u lived lastly that district only you will file a case for divorce. If both of you admit living seperatly for more than 4 years, ready for divorce, within 6 months you will get divorce

348 votes

The person has not mentioned about the place of living. As per civil rules the spouse lastly resided. The Hindu Marriages Act specifies the divorce. Civil court and sub court has also jurisdiction for Divorce.

246 votes

Generally a wife could seek for transfer of petition to their native place. In case concurrence occured between husband and wife for divorce by mutual, may file a petition for divorce in a place at your convenience.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles