Procedure to file divorce from out of the country

 currently on a project in LA, USA. I found out that my husband back in Delhi cheated on me with multiple people. I want to file for divorce but I don\'t want to leave my job here. We have four properties, three of which are in my name and I have paid for it with my cash, but the legal papers are with him. Can I file for divorce from here and also obtain the legal papers? I am a Hindu

Answers (3)

Yes you can under the Hindu Marriage Act. If your husband is also ready for a divorce you may file for a mutual divorce under section 13 of the Hindu Marriage Act. You have the option of entering into a settlement agreement with respect to the same and state the terms of division of your property in the agreement.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

It’s really very sad that u have to face such problems in ur wedlock, my sympathy is with u n i will like to update u that without coming to india u cannot file divorce case against ur husband. N as far as legal papers of ur property r concerned we can obtain them with the orders of court.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Preeti Joshi
District Court, Gurgaon
11 years Experience
Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar
Connaught Place, Delhi
22 years Experience
Advocate Harish Malhotra
District Court, Gurgaon
22 years Experience

Yes you can file from USA via a power of attorney in favour of any relative/friend through whom you would wish to pursue the matter here. However, I suggest that you do not file a divorce petition since your husband would naturally contest it. Its advisable that you file a complaint under Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005 seeking return of your documents, any other stridhan or property and even maintenance. Once he appears in the domestic violence complaint, you may get the matter referred to mediation and get him to agree to get a mutual divorce (which is the fastest way to get a divorce in India), get your original documents back and seek a favourable settlement once and for all.
However, it is important that you should gather some of his chats, emails, letters etc which can prove adultery or illicit affairs.
You may contact me through Pathlegal for a detailed discussion. I expertise in matrimonial law and would be able to guide you to suitable relief

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Legal Services

Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

My husband cheated me and my family while arranging marriage by telling that he has 15k salary and works in company but actually he was not doing any …

Read More

My sister is married for 11 years now. She wants divorce as her husband has many extra marital affairs and done many times domestic voilence against h…

Read More

dad self acquired property. Me only child Hindu arranged marriage 4+ yr. Me educated but poor pay. My wife's family after my father's property…

Read More

sir/mad pls note that divorce and crpc case file by wife when i am at workplace at dubai. NOW i have only chatting proof and wife writing on diary whe…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue