Automatic Divorce after 2 years in India

In Divorce Law
Can you please tell me about automatic divorce after 2 years in India. My wife and I are living separately since 2 years. Please Help.

Answers (6)

376 votes

What is Automatic Divorce in India?

There is nothing known as automatic divorce in India. Divorce is possible only through Court, even if the couple has been living separately for 2 years or more. The only way a couple can get ‘automatic divorce’ as such in India is if the marriage is annulled i.e. if the marriage has been declared null and void.

Procedure and Grounds for Divorce

The parties - husband and/or wife are require to approach the Courts and file for Divorce. There are a few different grounds on which a couple can file for divorce in India. However, do note that In India, the laws governing divorce can vary depending upon the religious affiliation of the parties involved (husband and wife). If you are considering getting a divorce in India, it is important to speak to an experienced family lawyer who can advise you on the best course of action for your specific circumstances. Despite the varying personal laws governing the institution of marriage and divorce, some common grounds include adultery, cruelty, desertion, conversion, mental disorder, venereal disease, etc. If the couple is able to set out and prove one of these grounds, the Court may grant them divorce.

Under the Hindu Marriage Act, as applicable to Hindus, if a couple has lived separately for a minimum of one year, they may file for a divorce by mutual consent (i.e. divorce with the consent of both parties). If they are unable to agree on the terms of the divorce, they may need to file for a contested divorce, which can be a more lengthy and complicated process. Additionally, the Hindu Marriage Act also makes desertion a ground for divorce, which may be sought in case a person has been deserted by their spouse for a continuous period of at least 2 years, immediately preceding the petition for divorce. However, it is important to understand that the term desertion is distinct from just separation and is required to be proved to procure a decree of divorce.

138 votes
If both of you are living separately for the period of 2 years and there is no scope of any kind of cohabitation then you can always apply for divorce in the family court according to your jurisdiction. But if you want to stay with her then you need to file a petition u/s 9 to call back your partner. For more legal assistance I am just a call away.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.


240 votes
Hello sir/Mam we will help in this regards pertaining to the mutual divorce. There is provision in the Hindu marriage act clearly stated when the wife and husband been separated since atleast 1 years the mutual divorce can be granted easily.. further information you can connect with us

Thank you

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
36 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
23 years Experience
Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
27 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
23 years Experience

184 votes
The time limit has certain rules like wise a spouse goes out for Jon or business then u. Any take that period as two years separation !
We need for facts on your case n thenceforth we can guide you with the options suitable n available !
N b in touch

277 votes
Hello Sir

as per Indian laws automatic divorce is nothing as such recognized
the parties have to apply for divorce mutual or contested depending upon your situation
please feel free to call us for better assistance and discussion on this issue

202 votes
on this basis you can approach the court for divorce but there is nothing like automatic divorce. one has to approach the court and file application under suitable section. The court will also decide the alimony to be paid by you to wife and grant you the divorce.

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."