Can we sue client for outstanding payment

In Consumer Court Law

We are a Delhi based company. One of our clients has stopped paying us the dues. And from 2013, Their accumulated dues are more than 3 Lakh. We have made several calls,visits,mails but nothing is done about it. Now, i would like to know a couple of points. 1) Legally how can I sue them and Get the outstanding payments to Debited to my account? 2) On what grounds can i file a legal case against them? 2) How to deal with such clients? 3) What is the average time that such a case is resolved? 4) Will i be paid any compensation except the principal amount?

Answers (3)

144 votes

yes, u can sue your client. appropriate remedy for you is to file a suit for recovery. the case will be filed on the basis of your invoices, receipts and other documents available with you. the matter may take anything around 1.5-2 years. you will get interest along on principal along with principal amount and also cost for proceedings.

but as dues are of 2013, you will have to take prompt action as for recovery there is a limitation period prescribed for 3 years and thereafter u cannot recover. subject to examination of the documents, we can also file summary suit which will take relatively less time as compared to regular suit for recovery.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

133 votes

Dear Sir,
Thanks for your query. We have a remedy to file recovery suit and further for initiating legal proceedings we have to send legal notice to the defaulter.
I would like to mention that you may send us the case documents or may fix time for meeting.
Mohit Popli
CORP LEXIS Chambers Legal and Business Consulting Services.

Popular Consumer Court Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
36 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
23 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
29 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
38 years Experience
84 votes

Dear Sir,

You can file a suit for recovery along with interest and damages. Generally, the sum pending along with 9 - 12 percent interest is granted in such cases.

No damages are granted in ordinary civil suits for recovery, however, cost of litigation will be awarded to you. If you have a good and diligent lawyer you can get the money back within 1 - 2 years of the filing of the suit.

Advocate Roshan Santhalia

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Consumer Court Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles