Can arbitral award of one case be used by other party in another case

When an arbitral award has been set aside under section 34 of the Arbitration Act, can the statements of claim and defense and evidence submitted by one party during the earlier arbitral proceedings be used by another party in some other matter?

Answers (4)

Dear Litigant,

Once the Arbitral Award has been set aside under section 34 of the Arbitration Act, then the proceedings become infructuous and the statement of claim, evidence as submitted by one party during the proceedings cannot be used by another party in some alternate disputes.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

The answer to that would be no but depends on what context the reference is made. It is settled position of law that after the setting aside of award, parties are entitled to commence a fresh arbitration. The fresh arbitration means fresh SOD and SOD.

The earlier proceedings would have no bearing as the award is only set aside.

Just to clarify, there are some cases where parties by consent have accepted the set aside and agreed to start fresh proceedings with SOC and SOD and evidence on record.

However, any new claims would be subject to limitation period that starts from the beginning and limitation will be only cancelled out from claims referred earlier.

Hope this helps.


Popular Arbitration Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience

if the facts of the other case are similar to the prvious case, then you may use the Statment of Claims and defence of the previous case as a reference point for drafting the same in new case. However, with respect to the Evidence submitted by the parties, that depends on the relevance of such evidence in the new case.

Yes, the defence and evidence if relevant to another matter may be placed before the Hon'ble Court. Please note that it will be prudent to ask the court to summon the records, rather than going ahead and producing the document by yourselves.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Arbitration Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

If one of the party not interest or not responding in Arbitration in register GPA, Can rest of the parities proceed for Arbitration. Please suggest it…

Read More

Can an arbitrator pass an award without an arbitration prayer made to him ? Any case law to support the same…

Read More

We bought a property in Noida extension and are now having problem while selling it. We have a loan and the buyer also wants to get a loan. The builde…

Read More

my land is acquired by national highway and they give me compensation ,that was very less and not satisfactory, that why i appeal and requesting for i…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue