quesUnregistered marriage.Can divorce happen or there is need to register?

My wife got separated on 29-sep-2013. Our marriage was solemnized on 10 Feb 2013. My marriage is not registered. We have signed an agreement on notebook paper ourself. But I don't want a Divorce.


Can she takes a Divorce without marriage registration or we have to register our marriage before filling any Divorce case? Can she take the divorce alone ?

  • ans

    As per Sec 8 (5) of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955, not getting a marriage registered does not render it null and void. Hence, the petition for divorce can be filed without a marriage being registered as well.


    The Petition for Divorce can be filed after 1 year of Marriage by both the parties either by Mutual Consent or under the various provisions mentioned in the HMA, 1955. As your Marriage is not an year old yet, the petition for Divorce will not be accepted by the Hon'ble Court unless rarest circumstances are proven by the party filing the petition.


    In any of the case, if one of the parties moves the court for a Divorce Petition, the notice will be served to the other party. Hence there is no way any one of the parties seeking Divorce can do so without any information to the second party.

  • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

Similar questions

sir,My husband has filed a divorce case.But I love him and want to stay together.Can…

Hi Team, Hindu Marriage happened on 21st April and reception on 23rd April but differences…

I need to know the grounds on which I can file a Divorce. We’ve been…

After staying separately for a year, we appealed for divorce my mutual consent in Bandra…

Divorce Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

Advocate Dr.Gubbi S Subba Rao

  K G Road
 Experience: 31 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly