Do we have to obtain Marriage certificate in India?

Me (Indian citizen, Hindu) & my wife (USA citizen, Hindu) got married in US court and obtained certificate in USA. Now we both planning for performing this marriage ceremony as per Hindu rituals in India. Our question is by Indian law do we have to register marriage/take certificate of marriage in India (that we don't need because we already have one) ? if yes then Is their any provision of keeping old(USA marriage date , it been over a year)? Or just advisable to have wedding reception and not ceremony in India.

Answers (2)

86 votes

you married with USA citizen and also you married in US for green card you not need to get marriage certificate form can do wedding reception.or even you can marriage again as per hindu rutuals in india for you satisfaction.marriege certificate are require

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

65 votes

You can have the same marriage date in the certificate as per your marriage date

A marriage certificate is an official statement that two people are married.

In India, Marriages can be registered either under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 or under the Special Marriage Act, 1954.
It is a legal proof you are married and the most vital document of a marriage. In 2006, the Supreme Court made it compulsory to register the marriage for the women protection.
Procedure to apply
For Marriage Registration under Hindu Act: You can apply at office of the Sub-Divisional Magistrate in whose jurisdiction the husband or wife resides on any working day.
Fill the Application form duly signed by both husband and wife.
Verification of all the documents is carried out on the date of application and a day is fixed for the appointment and communicated to the parties for registration.
On the said day, both parties, alongwith a Gazetted Officer who attended their marriage, need to be present before the ADM. The Certificate is issued on the same day.
Click Here For the registration of marriage under Hindu Marriage Act
Click Here For the registration of marriage under Special Marriage Act
Documents Required
Completely filled application form signed by both husband and wife
Proof of Address- Voter ID/ Ration Card/ Passport, Driving License
Proof of Date of Birth of both husband and wife
2 passport sized photographs, 1 marriage photograph
Separate Marriage Affidavits in prescribed format from Husband & Wife
Aadhaar Card
All documents must be self attested.
Marriage Invitation Card
For Online Registration: Click Here
Select your district and continue.
Fill in husband's details and choose "Registration of Marriage Certificate".
Fill in Marriage Certificate form and choose date of appointment.
Click "Submit Application"
You will be allotted a temporary number that will be found printed on the acknowledgement slip and application form is done.
Take a printout of acknowledgement slip as well.
In case of Hindu Marriage Act, you will get an appointment within 15 days of the online registration, but in case of Special Marriage Act, it may take upto 60 days.

Any person who has attended the wedding of the couple can be a witness and must have a PAN Card and a Proof of Residence.
'Tatkal' Marriage Certificate
In April 2014, the Revenue Department of Delhi government introduced a 'tatkal' service ensuring a single-day authorisation of the marriage under which the registration process will be undertaken on priority.
The service, which became operational on April 22, 2014 enables citizens to register their nuptials and get a certificate issued within 24 hours on payment of Rs. 10,000 as a fee.
Benefits of Marriage Certificate
If you are applying for a passport or opening a bank account after the wedding, then Marriage Certificate is required.
Extremely helpful in obtaining visas for both husband and wife.
As the foreign embassies in India as well as in countries outside India, do not recognize traditional marriages, the Marriage Certificate is mandatory for the couple to travel abroad using a spouse visa.
Enables a spouse in claiming life insurance return or bank deposits in case of demise of the Insurer or depositor without any nominee.

Rs 100/- in case of Hindu Marriage Act
Rs 150/- in case of Special Marriage Act
Deposit the fees with the cashier of the District and attach the receipt with the application form.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."