quescan i be held for cheque bounce if the person owes me more money

I have a cheque bounce case to be handled, I had issued a cheque of Rs 15.000/- to a partner but later found out that he owes me atleast 40,000/- as per contractual papaers or atleast 4,40,000/- as per non contractual papers. Now can he hold me accountable if I bounce the cheque please call me up and help me qwith an answer to this query.

• ansThank you for your query
    In case of a negotiable instruments case where you have issued a cheque to anyone and if the same gets dishonoured you are liable and can be sued under the Act
    If you have issued a cheque make sure that it doesn't bounce
    If the said cheque is issued to a person from whom you have to recover money file separate case against that person to recover money
    Further action can be suggested on seeing the documents please

Advocate Amitesh Singh Bakshi

Delhi High Court, Delhi

• ansyou need to create your defense of claim/counter claim by way of legal notice to your partner before the cheque goes for presentation to your bank to avoid legal complications/liability.He can hold you accountable in absence of that.

Advocate Narender Kumar Sachdeva

Kailash Colony, Delhi

• ansIf he files a case against you, you will have to establish the fact that you did not owe him any money and for that the court can allow your requests for asking the other party to file its bank statements, ledger accounts, etc. to establish debt. Approach a lawyer asap.

Advocate Dhruv Suri

Barakhamba Road, Delhi