can i be held for cheque bounce if the person owes me more money
I have a cheque bounce case to be handled, I had issued a cheque of Rs 15.000/- to a partner but later found out that he owes me atleast 40,000/- as per contractual papaers or atleast 4,40,000/- as per non contractual papers. Now can he hold me accountable if I bounce the cheque please call me up and help me qwith an answer to this query.
Thank you for your query
In case of a negotiable instruments case where you have issued a cheque to anyone and if the same gets dishonoured you are liable and can be sued under the Act
If you have issued a cheque make sure that it doesn't bounce
If the said cheque is issued to a person from whom you have to recover money file separate case against that person to recover money
Further action can be suggested on seeing the documents please
Advocate Amitesh Singh BakshiDelhi High Court, Delhi
you need to create your defense of claim/counter claim by way of legal notice to your partner before the cheque goes for presentation to your bank to avoid legal complications/liability.He can hold you accountable in absence of that.
Advocate Narender Kumar SachdevaKailash Colony, Delhi
If he files a case against you, you will have to establish the fact that you did not owe him any money and for that the court can allow your requests for asking the other party to file its bank statements, ledger accounts, etc. to establish debt. Approach a lawyer asap.
Advocate Dhruv SuriBarakhamba Road, Delhi
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Car dealer charging cancellation charge which was not told to me
- Buying a property of land whose owner died 10 to 15 years before
- Land grabbers claiming property ownership
- What steps can i take if Accused is not appearing in court
- Planning to quit college in middle of 1st year asking for full fees