can i be held for cheque bounce if the person owes me more money

I have a cheque bounce case to be handled, I had issued a cheque of Rs 15.000/- to a partner but later found out that he owes me atleast 40,000/- as per contractual papaers or atleast 4,40,000/- as per non contractual papers. Now can he hold me accountable if I bounce the cheque please call me up and help me qwith an answer to this query.

Answers (3)

202 votes

Thank you for your query
In case of a negotiable instruments case where you have issued a cheque to anyone and if the same gets dishonoured you are liable and can be sued under the Act
If you have issued a cheque make sure that it doesn't bounce
If the said cheque is issued to a person from whom you have to recover money file separate case against that person to recover money
Further action can be suggested on seeing the documents please

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

284 votes

you need to create your defense of claim/counter claim by way of legal notice to your partner before the cheque goes for presentation to your bank to avoid legal complications/liability.He can hold you accountable in absence of that.

Popular Cheque Bounce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
17 years Experience
325 votes

If he files a case against you, you will have to establish the fact that you did not owe him any money and for that the court can allow your requests for asking the other party to file its bank statements, ledger accounts, etc. to establish debt. Approach a lawyer asap.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles