Landlord asking to vacate property what to do

We are living in a house since our Grandfather's time(more than 50 years) as a tenant of a disputed property. Now Mr. X, who was earlier the tenant has started demanding for the rent claiming that now he is the owner of the property. He also claims that he has purchased the property from the original owners(inherited grandchildren of the landlord) We want to know our rights as a tenant, and in what all conditions he can ask us to vacate the property.

Answers (5)

120 votes

The previous tenant declares himself to be the landlord on what basis,Has he declared certain documents on behalf of which he claims so??If no then you have your own rights and property possession can not be snatched away.Therefore there are different remedies for the same and you may contact for any further queries thanks.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

257 votes

You need not to pay any rent to him till he entered into rent agrrement with you and if he wish to make rent agreement then that he will say under what capacity he is demanding rent from you it will come to your knowledge then you can contact lawyer to file appropriate case against him thanks to share your problem with lawrato

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience
264 votes

To resolve this problem we need to see your tenancy documents and other allied papers. In conference we have to get some relevant facts from you in connection with the tenanted property. Thereafter, an appropriate legal notice or petition will be filed on behalf of you. You need to come for conference. Subhasish Bhowmick, AOR & Counsel in Supreme Court

348 votes

Hello, no one can evict you like that, incase of ownership we need to know few things, like did they informed or served you any notice before selling the property? Is there any agreement? The new buyer registered his property or not? In any case you can file your matter before the court.

73 votes

For the query you posted, i would advice the following:

In accordance with law, since you have been living on such property for about 50 years, a right has been substantiated in your favor with respect to such property.

Vacation from such property shall not be an easy task as well his ownership should not accepted undisputed.

I hope this answers your query.


Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles