Clarification on property tax not paid by previous owner to MCG

Hi , I am residing in G.,  I have purchased a flat in 2015 and got a letter from mcg that tax was unpaid from 2008 and My previous owner has not paid property tax to mcg now should i do?

Hello, Property tax is to be paid to the MCG else it stands as arrears in their records.

You can either have your seller of property (previous owner) pay up his dues amicably or through legal process or settle the amount by self, depending upon how much the dues are.

You are liable to pay property tax only from the day you got possession of the property. As in the present case, you got possession of the property sometime in 2015 so you would be liable to pay property tax from then itself and not prior to that. So you can send a reply to the tax department stating the same and that the notice may sent to the previous owner for the outstanding balance.

Advocate Gouri Shankar Hemekari