Can GST be charged on the earnest money and brokerage of a flat

i had booked a property with a builder in Haryana. i wish to cancel my investment. The builder has my money for over 4 years now. when i applied for cancellation of property he gave me a lis of deductions applicable which are earnest money+ 18 % GST on earnest money+brokerage paid + 18% GST on Brokerage paid. My question is can the builder charge me GST on the earnest money and brokerage paid. No builder buyer agreement has been signed by me with the builder yet. i have only signed the booking letter.

Answers (3)

318 votes

You can file a complaint before RERA authority. You will get compensation from the Builder and also your money will be returned. You can file a complaint before RERA authority. You will get compensation from the Builder and also your money will be returned

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

99 votes

It is better to file a consumer case if the property hasn't been handed over to you till date. You can claim your money back along with the interest.
Plus, he cannot charge GST or any such thing as deductions regarding the money being paid to you.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience
167 votes

Hello Client hru

I have read Ur query as per which Ur earnest money is been lotted by the builder on the name of deduction as well as taxes on deduction as well as brokage along with GST this matter u have take go to court then only u will be able to get Ur money back otherwise they will deduct the amount bwitjout any reason for which they are not at all.authorised.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles