Will a person be liable to pay rent on behalf of his brother

My father used to live in a rented flat some 25 years back which was in his name along with his younger brother. However from last 20 years we have shifted to our owned flat however my uncle used to live there by paying rent in rent control since 1994 ,as the landlord refused to rent the flat to my uncle. Now god knows what had happened ,he is sending legal notice to us for paying rent from 1984 to him at the prevailing rate.My father is not liable for that as my father had not stayed there since 1994.What can be a remedy for this?

Answers (2)

338 votes

One thing you did not say that, whether there is any written Tenancey Agreement in between the Land lord/ Flat owner and your father or not. Secondly, from the Tenant Side whether both your father and your uncle sign on it as Tenant or not?
If your father and uncle jointly make Tenancy Agreement with the Flat Owner. Then without doing something, please cheak that your uncle paying rent through Rent Controller under which status. If there he showing single tenant, then your answer towards is very much clear. And on the other hand, if he shows co-tenant, and deposit rent for only his share or 50% share, then the procedure to handel the landlord will be different. Please clarify it first.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

74 votes

Your query is totally contradictory , as what I have understand from the same please note that landlord notice is bad in law, as he has no right to seek enhanced rent from 1984 . Checkout first how long your uncle deposited the amount with rent control and during the period whether the landlord issued any notice or not.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
15 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."