Landlord not allowing to take stuff and not giving security as well

In Landlord/Tenant Law
Got a divorce notice from husband. Dispute with husband now husband staying separate and the agreement is on his name. I told my landlord that i cant afford the same and gave a notice that i will be leaving by 31st december. Earlier they agreed, yesterday i received a call that they are denying to return the security deposit. I switched off my all my appliances and left by still my meter kept running and they are denying to return security and asking to pay rent to get my stuff out. Is there any legal action possible? If yes then what action?

Answers (2)

137 votes

Since the Lease Agreement is in the name of your husband, only he shall be in a position to initiate action for seeking the refund of the security deposit.
We would need to examine the copy of the Lease Agreement for providing further advice in the matter.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

172 votes

Legal action may be taken by filing a suit for specific performance of the contract or a suit for damages. As far as the questions concerning you giving your landlord a notice and the non return of security deposit, and the payment of rent - these questions can be answered only on perusal of the rent agreement. The criminal action option may also be explored on understanding the terms of the agreement.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
35 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
37 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
14 years Experience
Advocate Suksham Aggarwal
District and Sessions Court, Ambala
9 years Experience

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."