How to claim land acquired by state government?

Hi, I need to know the basis on which I can claim restoration to get back a land that was acquired by the government. Our state government acquired a land in 1940 for public purpose and it is 2015 now and the land has not been put to any use. Can we claim the land back?

Since we have limited information to provide you with an appropriate solution, we would request you to give us substantial facts the best possible solution in such a situation is to file a writ petition in the concerned high court.