Can I cancel my permanent post and work as contract employee

I am currently working on a contract basis govt post. I had applied for a permanent post and i have been appointed a permanent govt post in a different department of the govt. In the order for permanent post there is no mention of my current contract post and also nothing is mentioned about relieving from the current contract post. Now if i dont want to join the permanent post Can I still continue with the contract post? Is there any rule saying once the subsequent order has come for the permanent post, contract post automatically gets cancelled?