Can company change appraisal policies without informing employees

My previous company delayed appraisals and PLI for 9 months, by end of 9 months on 31st Dec’17 they shared mail stating the values of my arrears, PLI and increment salary (applicable from Dec’17 salary), also stating that next appraisal will not happen on Apr’18 , but instead will be extended to Oct’18. It was also mentioned that arrears in salary appraisal and PLI will be provided in next 3 months due to financial stability. I received my increased salary on 6th Jan and post that I dropped my resignation letter. Seeing that people are quitting they introduced a clause that if we quit before Apr’18, company forfeits arrears and PLI (Post my resignation).My company didn't inform when I left what FnF will be, they said it will be shared after 45 days. But the amount I received is the salary only, when I asked abt arrears, I was told this clause has been introduced. which I was never informed about. So what are my legal options here, and by when should FnF ideally be processed.

Answers (1)

117 votes

Hi! The simple answer to your query is NO! Your ex employer cannot do what they're trying to do. Terms of contract cannot be changed post facto, and unilaterally: that is the law. You're entitled to receive all the arrears and increments as were promised to you over emails and your employment contract. You can file a civil case to recover the amounts, as well as register an FIR for fraud, etc.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Labour & Service Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Labour & Service Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles