Am I eligible to paid leaves for leaves I take under maternity benefit

Hi! I am contractual (post-consultant) employee of MHRD. i need to take maternity leaves...though leaves are sanctioned but these are unpaid..i want to know being contractual consultant am i eligible for PAID LEAVES??? if i am eligible..what action should take??

Answers (3)

171 votes

Yes you are eligible for paid leaves, in case they deny you paid leaves you can move to the delhi high court by way of writ petition. There is also a recent Uttarakhand High Court judgment to this effect which grants leave with fully pay to contractual employees.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

128 votes

It will generally be governed by the employment contract although, according to Supreme Court's judgment every employee whether permanent or contractual is eligible for padi maternity leave for 26 weeks

Popular Labour & Service Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
177 votes

Yes, You are eligible under Rule 43 of the CCS (Leave) Rules. During such period, You shall be paid leave salary equal to the pay drawn immediately before proceeding on leave. You can Represent to the Employer and wait for their response, failing which You can Approach the Ld. Central Administrative Tribunal by filing an Original Application. You can get in touch with us for the same.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Labour & Service Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles