A good performer at job. Can they still remove me w/o formal letter?

My company has fired me despite me being a good performer for 7.5 years with them. I was working with Genpact as an Asst. Manager. Last year i complained about my high pressure role to the HR and they decided to change my role post which I was given a bench letter for 3 months wherein I gave internal interviews to which my HR gave me a bad rating and shared it with other internal HR’s as well.


Later I was asked to resign. When I did not do as I was told they took my laptop and asked me to leave and gave no formal retrenchment letter but just gave a job leaving letter.


What should I do?




As per what we can gather from your query, you have a very strong case for wrongful termination.


As you have stated that your services were terminated without any notice or a formal letter, you have a strong prima facie case against the company for wrongful termination. You have to file a civil suit against the company for claiming your full and final settlement along with damages and compensation. You will not be able to claim reinstatement from the civil court. (Civil Court cannot set aside termination of private sector employees) 


You have the following points in your favour:


i. Breach of contract: 


No notice was given to you before terminating your services. You need to see your offer letter and the contract with the company as to the time period stipulated for giving the notice of termination.


ii. Violation of Principles of Natural Justice: 


You were not given any reasons for termination and further you were not given a fair hearing before terminating your services.


iii. Forced resignation:


The fact that you had been a good performer for more than 7 years and the Company basically forced you to resign without giving any reasons.


However, we would be in a better position to advise you once we peruse your appointment letter and service agreement.


Please try and procure a copy of the employment contract as that shall also be beneficial while filing the recovery suit.


Before filing the suit, you should send them a legal notice claiming damages and compensation for the wrongful termination and the harassment caused to you.


Kindly contact us for any further details and action.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Labour & Service Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Labour & Service Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

15 Minutes Labour / Service Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 476 ratings
Legal advice and answers from a local experienced advocate about your labour / service issue.
Document Review - Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA)

4.6 | 64 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - NDA review by a local experienced advocate
Document Review - Employment Agreement/Appointment Letter

4.8 | 191 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Employement Agreement review by a local experienced advocate
Create an Employment Termination Letter

4.2 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Termination Letter drafted by a local experienced advocate
Email to HR

4.4 | 46 ratings
15 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Personalised email drafted by a local experienced advocate
Create a Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA)

4.6 | 73 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - NDA drafted by a local experienced advocate
Legal Notice for Recovery of Dues from Employer

4.8 | 421 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
Create an Employement Agreement

4.6 | 203 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Employement agreement drafted by a local experienced advocate
Similar questions

My employer has mentioned that during the probation period the notice period will be of a month where both the parties can give a notice / salary in l…

Read More

Hi, I joined ONGC one month back and I have resigned on 23 September 2017(I was in probation period) giving 8 October 2017 as my relieving me date as …

Read More

Employer forced me to write down my resignation letter in white paper because I have tried to open a cupboard in open area which was kept near to wome…

Read More

Hello this is shiv I am working in bank and i have resigned on 21 mrach 2017 my current my current employer is not giving m early relieving.I need to …

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue