Issue with wife-property purchase

My wife and me have inter personal issues and we don't get along well. She is a home maker. I intend to buy a property ( apartment). I want to understand that if I don't make her a co owner in the property, in case of divorce, what rights does she have over the property? In case this happens, and if she refuses to get out of the property, will she still have rights even if its not in her name? What is the solution to protect myself if I dont want her to enjoy any rights over the property.

Answers (1)

169 votes


Incase of your divorce, if she claims alimony, she might demand a separate house to reside in but is she is able to sustain herself, she might not be entitled. Rather, you shall make your parents or a siblings the owner of the house with a registered agreement of trust or power which keeps your right secure and even safeguarding you. Please feel free to discuss with us to get effective recommendations. Feel free to connect with us for further consultation.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."