Harassment from husband, domestic violence

In Domestic Violence Law
I'm muslim women married for 8 yrs, my husband n I stay at rented flat while his mother has a permanent house, I left home yesterday as my husband started to harass me he has taken all my important documents and not returning it so that I can't take up a job and I'm completely under his control and domesticated, he is harassing me so that he doesn't have to pay for rent and we move back to my mother in laws, can I still live in the rented flat while I file for divorce?

Answers (1)

297 votes
Yes obviously you can stay there and file criminal application under Domestic Violence Act against him and his family. There are number of protection orders provided in Domestic Violence Act. Such as Interim maintenance and providing accomodation or rent. Also file complaint against him under provisions of Indian Penal Code.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.


Popular Domestic Violence Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
36 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
23 years Experience
Advocate Suksham Aggarwal
District and Sessions Court, Ambala
10 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
29 years Experience

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Domestic Violence Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."