Procedure to get divorce without marriage registration

I got married in 2014 but we didnt register yet, we have a girl baby.. we are living separately for more than a year and am planning get divorse legally.. can u guide me how to proceed?

Answers (5)

297 votes

It is not a problem. But you must spell out the reasons for seeking divorce against your spouse. It is your legal right to ask for divorce and to live separately with your baby. However it is better for both of you to seek divorce by way of mutual consent. This will save you lot of money and time as well. The whole process will be over within a maximum period of six months.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

182 votes

you can file a case before the concerned family court for divorce and also for maintenance for you and your baby. if it is a hindu marriage if you both have decided to get divorce you can file a case for divorce by mutual consent or you can also file a case for divorce on grounds of desertion, cruelty and for various other reasons. that can be decided only on personal consultation. if it is for trivial issues that can be settled by counselling.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
301 votes

Hello, Marriage Registration is immaterial to seek for Divorce. When you intend to seek divorce The Court sees whether there's grounds to grant divorce. Since you haven't registered the marriage, documents related to Marriage like Marriage/ Marriage reception invitation, Marriage photos, Marriage Receipt in case of marriage conducted at any religious places etc, should be filed to prove the marriage.

296 votes

For Divorce marriage registration is not compulsory. If the marriage is held under HMA marriage registration is not necessary. The maintenance case is also possible. The address proof is also essential.

82 votes

You can file divorce in the court with proof of your marriage like marriage invitation, photos together in marriage attire etc. Hope you have the required proof, Marriage certificate is not mandatory to file divorce.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles