Procedure to file for annulment of marriage

I got married on sep 2017 in assam. And now i live in delhi. My wife refused to have sex since marriage and now recently she moved back to her home in assam. My question here 1. Can I file annulment of marriage on the ground of refusal to have sex? 2. If i can file then can i file it from delhi? 3. If she agree we didnt had sex how long it will take to cancel the marriage. 4 Do i need to pay any maintenance in this case?

Answers (2)

Dear Sir,

1.Yes, you can file a for a divorce on the ground of denial of having sex. It is a valid ground of divorce as it amounts to cruelty committed against you by your spouse.
2. Yes, you can file for divorce in the Courts within Delhi Jurisdiction as you and your wife lastly resided together in Delhi.
3. Usually, it will take minimum 6 months to get divorce, provided the court proceedings take place diligently.
4.The payment of maintenance can be commented upon after taking into consideration the financial conditions of both the parties.

In case you have any further query, feel free to contact.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.


Regarding your query, there are a few ways to approach this.

1) First of all , you can initiate proceedings for annulment on account that marriage has not been consumated. However, these are border-line cases and difficult to prove as the opposing party( your wife ) will deny the same. Ideally, your best option would be to initiate divorce proceedings under the grounds of 'cruelty' where you can also mention that marriage has not been consumated. There is a better chance with this option.

2) Regarding jurisdiction of Delhi to file the case : A Divorce Petition can be instituted in these jurisdictions -
1)place where the marriage was solemnized ( Assam),
2) where your wife resides in Assam- ( Assam)
3) Where you reside - Delhi ( Although you can file the case in Delhi as well. However this option is not preferable, as now-a-days the wives seek a transfer petition whereby the Jurisdiction is transferred to the place where she is residing ( Assam).

4) You may also file a case in the place where you have resided . You havent mentioned where you exactly. Your matrimonial home.

Regarding if she didnt agree to have sex- The marriage may take years before a decree for divorce takes place. However, its dependent on the skill of the lawyer as well.

Do you need to pay maintenance- Although the Courts are sympathetic towards paying of maintenance to women who cannot sustain themselves. This is again, dependent on the verbosity and clarity that the lawyer exhibits to convince the Judge that in view of such a short time span of marriage and cruelty exhibited by her, payment for maintenance is against the law as this was her scheme all along.

If you need further assistance. You can get in touch.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

My brother is a CA and his income is 60,000. They are married for 1 year and 3 months. They are now staying separate for 6 months. Bhabhi is earning 2…

Read More

my son is settled in USA. he earns $7000 a month. he is 34 . he married to a girl in pune . through deshsthamatrimony .com.she is 30 . she makes a sma…

Read More

I m at my mother's place since 2 years, my in-laws have left me after I delivered a baby boy.My boy is 2 years stays with me.they don't even a…

Read More

Can wife demand maintenance for ourselves and for daughter in mutual divorce…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue