Married for a month. When can i file for divorce? Need to pay alimony?

My friend and his wife are not living together after a week of marriage. The girl says she does not want to live with him. When can they look for a divorce? Does my friend have to pay her alimony?



The Petition for Divorce can be filed after 1 year of Marriage by both the parties either by Mutual Consent or under the various provisions mentioned in the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 (provided your friend is married under the Hindu Law). In case the marriage is not an year old yet, the petition for Divorce will not be accepted by the Hon'ble Court unless rarest circumstances are proven by the party filing the petition.


The best way for filing a divorce is by the way of mutual consent. Alternately your friend can file a case by filing a petition on either of the various grounds under the Marriage Law.

Grounds for Divorce under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 are as follows:

Adultery / Cruelty / Desertion / Conversion to another religion / Mental Disorder / Leprosy / Venereal Disease / Renunciation / Not Heard Alive / No Resumption of Co-habitation.


Coming to your second question, whether your friend will have to pay Alimony to his wife or not, is decided by the following factors:


In case your friend and his wife get divorced by mutual consent, the decision on whether any alimony / maintenance is to be paid by either party is a matter of agreement between them. In such cases, alimony / maintenance could be paid by either the husband to the wife or by the wife to the husband subject to the mutual understanding between the couple. The court passes the decree of divorce on terms agreed between the couple. The decree binds the couple and is capable of being enforced by the court.


In contested matters, the court intervenes and decides the issue of alimony / maintenance on the merits of each case. The power of the court to grant alimony is not limited to cases where the decree is obtained by the wife. Courts have powers to grant alimony to the wife even where the husband is granted a decree. It is quite possible there may be no alimony / maintenance awarded at all depending upon the facts and circumstances of the case. Assessment of the amount of permanent alimony is entirely the court's discretion.


The factors that the court takes into consideration for permanent alimony/maintenance for the wife as as follows:


1) The status and position of the husband, his income, his assets and his lifestyle -
2) The reasonable wants of the wife
3) The wife's own income or earnings

Under the provisions of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955, even a Hindu husband can claim alimony from his wife if he earns less than her or does not earn at all, though this is rare. Usually, the husband is bound to maintain his wife till her lifetime.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

My brother had married a girl called sonia on june 2017.sonia has been suffering from mental disorder for the past 10 years and her family not intimat…

Read More

My wife makes my life hell.she donot respect me and my family I have a almost 7 years of marriage having one son. Now looking for divorce kindly sugge…

Read More

husband filed a hmop case in 2015,wife filed a MC case in 2015 as reply . 2016 they withdraw the case , as both parties agreed to live together. . Aft…

Read More

I am in love with a boy, but the issue that is arising is that my grandmother and my boyfriends grandmother are sisters. As we are hindus, is there an…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue