quesdivorce in a foreign country

Hi, My marriage was solemnised with the UK citizen in india in the year 2007. I had got the marriage registered here. However after 2 years of separation, my ex husband had filed for a divorce in the UK on the grounds"the marriage had irretrievably broken down, the facts found proved being the respondent(myself) unreasonable behaviour". I was sent the notice of the proceedings through emails by the Nottingham county court. It stated in it that the court had jurisdiction to hear the case under" Article 3(1) of the Council Regulation(EC) No 2201/2003 of 27 November 2003". I haven't participated in any of the proceedings as I didn't had the visa to visit the UK. However, I had accepted these grounds of divorce and had signed , scanned the papers and emailed back to them I had not engaged any lawyer in india to contest my case as I had no issues to accept the divorce myself. I had finally received an original copy of final decree from the Nottingham court stamped but not signed with the divorce date august 2012. I haven't done anything to register this case or decree in indian court. Please advise.

  • Planning to Divorce? Marriage Counselling can help

    Consult Now
    • ansYou should have appointed a lawyer in UK at least to keep you in the loop with what was happening in your case. If the copy of divorce decree does not bear the signature of the judge then it is not a certified copy. You may now request your ex husband to send you a certified copy of the judgment, or in the alternative engage a UK lawyer to procure for you a copy of the same.

      now you can request your ex husband to furnish you a certified copy of a decree for your record and that now your marriage stands dissolved and you get the liberty to re-marry again.

    • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

      Know More
    • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
    • Related Articles

    Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

    Similar questions

    Hindu marriage. My hubby is a PR in Australia and was married to an Indian…
    I have a three month old child. My husband and in-law started with mental harassment…

    My wife, by listening to her parents and visiting their place for small reason's cause's…

    Hi .we both are 21+ ..and we want to marry ..matter is that is the…

    Divorce Lawyers in India

    Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

      Supreme Court of India
     Experience: 16 years

    Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

      Lajpat Nagar 4
     Experience: 24 years

    Advocate Nagesh B L

     Experience: 23 years

    Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

      Connaught Place
     Experience: 20 years

    View all >>

    Quick Consult

    Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

    Ask a Free Question

    Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

    Find a Lawyer

    Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

    Get Fee Estimate

    Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly