Can petition for divorce be filed within 5 months of marriage

Hi sir My wife has committed suicide by hanging herself to fan and she was safe. The police has filed complaint against my mother on section 498. Marriage has occurred on 11th of August 2017 and it is only 5 and half months. Can I apply for divorce.

Answers (3)

Hello sir,

As per general rule, the maximum period for filing divorce petition is one year, but under exceptional circumstances you can also file divorce petition within one year, court may consider those cases also.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

If your marriage is a Hindu Marriage, You cannot file divorce within 1 year. There is a specific bar under section 14 of Hindu Marriage Act, 1955. Thus you have to wait for the period to complete. It seems she is residing at her parents house as you are being prosecuted under section 498-A.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience

Actually you cab file divorce petition within one year of the marriage. Under some exceptional cases, you can fike divorce petition by obtaining the permission from the court to file the divirce petitoon within one year.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

I am hindu girl, married to muslim boy, I eloped with him for 10-12 days. after that my parents bring back to parents home and did "Aryasamaj Dha…

Read More

Me and my wife both are divorcee, living in Delhi separate from parents. Myself is 36 and my wife is 37 of age. We don't have any baby. She is having …

Read More

I love someone and we are in a relation since the last 5 years. Some time ago my grand mother fixed my marriage to another girl. My gta…

Read More

Hi I am living in Canada my husband is in India. he file divorced in 2011 I don't know the court name still I don't find out if my divorced is…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue