Can I remarry without taking a divorce from first husband

I am a 24+ years old hindi woman who was got married at the age of 16(under age). I have a 5+ years old son. I am separated from my husband from last 5 years. We have not registered our marriage. Now I want divorce but he doesn't want to give me divorce and the problem is I don't have his present address where I can send him the letter of divorce. I only have the address of his parents with whom he doesn't stay. Please suggest me how to get rid of this marriage as I want to remarry. If I get remarried without giving him divorce what should be the result? Please suggest.

Answers (3)

No you cannot marry unless you are divorced, notwithstanding the marriage is registered or not. If you remarry without divorcing your present husband, there will be many problems and unnecessary litigation. Please file a divorce case against your present husband and process it suitably so that in the near future there arise no problem from you present husband.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

as you are married for more than 7 years, even if you have not registered your marriage it will be considered as a legal marriage. you can easily marry someone else but it would create a lot of trouble for you in the near future. I would suggest you to move for divorce and as per your grounds, you would have your divorce soon. i have handled these kinds of critical divorce cases and has solved also a bit.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience

As your marriage is consummated you are required to obtain divorce else your second marraige is null and void in the eye of law.You can file a suit for divorce and send the notice to his parents house,if he does nt appear then make a paper publication of the summon.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

i m married when i was 16 now i am 22 and i dont like my wife..we got married by our caste rituals and now i want to get seperated from her..since i h…

Read More

Hi, Me and My Girlfriend are in relationship from last 7-8 Years. We also get married in Mandir but marriage is not registered so far. Can you please …

Read More

My sister's marriage is not registered. But she has shows her marriage in Australia document. The person who married my sister is totally fraud & …

Read More

If my marriage is not registered and i dont have any kids, can my wife ask for alimony in case of divorce?? We got married about less then 2 yrs back …

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue