Can divorce be filed if the spouses are not living together?

I got married in apr 2016 and living separatly from sep 2016. I want to apply for mutual consent divorce. Will i get waiver of 6 month cooling period

Answers (5)

163 votes

You may get waiver of six months on the facts mentioned but you may have to file separate petition for the same stating the facts and circumstance including future life and chances of resettlement in life.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

320 votes

The Supreme Court,in the case of Amardeep Singh Vs. Harveen Kaur (2017), has held very categorically that six months'
waiting/ cooling period as mentioned u/s 13B(2) of Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 for grant of divorce by mutual consent in not mandatory but merely directory. It was further observed that it will be open for the Court to exercise its discretion of waiving the aforesaid period of six months if there is no possibility of parties resuming cohabitation and there are chances of alternative rehabilitation. The fact that you and your wife separated after a short time-span of about five months of marriage and have been living separately since then is a good ground to convince the Court that the waiting period will only prolong your agony and therefore, divorce by mutual consent should be granted in your case.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
261 votes

The prerequisite for granting divorce by mutual consent is that the spouses must be living separately for atleast 1 year and that the marriage is at least 1 year old. Yes you will be eligible for 6 months waiver after filling of the first motion. For immediate relief you can seek annulment of the marriage.

163 votes

There are chances that you can get waiver of cooling down period. Your case and the circumstances are the main components when it comes to giving waiver of cooling down period. You have to show that the marriage has si irretrievably broken down that there are no chances of co habitation.

286 votes

Yes, you may apply for the mutual divorce. In that case for waiving off the period special permission is allowed by the competent court. It needs to be well contested for waiving period and hence your query can easily be sorted out. You may contact us for the same by easiest and fastest mode channel

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

Me and wife are not living to stay together any more we want a mutual consent divorce how and where can we file for a mutual consent divorce?…

Read More

Can sexchat be a sufficient proof to prove adultery and to get divorce with alimony amount??…

Read More

We are married for 8 years but now living separately for last 2 yrs. I was bound to leave my in laws house due to their constant misbehaviour, ignoran…

Read More

What is the process and fees for arranging Divorce by mutual consent in Mumbai. Hindu law. no kids. have to file for mediation in mediation center at …

Read More