Advice on divorce and retaining parental property from in-law house

My name is Puja Maity. I have got married on 13th dec,2016. I got separated from my husband on the month of October,2017. My husband used to physically assult me, beats me and used to mentaly torture me for several reasons.they have not allowed me to bring my own parents property from the house which was given during marriage.They have blocked me and have taken all wardrobe keys from me. I want to know that can i bring my parents property from in laws house before getting divorce?? Please advice me and help me.

Answers (3)

148 votes

yes very much you can retain the property and assets you have received both from your parents and your husband's family and relatives. before getting into the technicalities of the law, you need to provide and have the bills for the same for obtaining the assets and properties through court. If you have them, its a easy deal.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

61 votes

If you already obtained divorce then in the petition it is clearly stated that you have no claim from your husband and it is assumed that you have already taken your stridhan property. If you have not obtained divorce till date, then while giving your evidence before the Learned Court then you can mention that you have not received all your stridhan property. In the former case there is no other way to get back your stridhan property.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
228 votes

Permit me to humble respects,

Definitely you can, under IPC Section 498A, DV Act, and other special laws however without going into further details of your Police station area and other details from court of law and fact i cannot advice.

BEst wishes,

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles