Sold car to relative 17 years back. How to avoid misuse of it?

Hello, I have a relative who asked to purchase my fathers very old maruti esteem car 3 years ago for reselling. He paid my father 32K and said he will transfer soon. Somehow things kept delaying but my father passed away in May 2013. He took further 8K from me for registration but no more talking to me now and keeping the car. Car cannot be transferred now as it's around 17 year old. What are risk now for me if we don't transfer? I don't know if he is driving car or not. What can I do to save myself from misuse of car? I don't want car back nor bad relations with my relative.

Answers (2)

252 votes


See the car older than 17 years of age is not legally allowed to run on Delhi's road as per National Green Tribunal order. Also the said car is also not qualified for insurance and other thing. Now since your father passed away in the mid of the deal therefore legally either you or your mother would have inherited his properties including present car and any accident from the said car would also make you equally responsible. The answer shared herein is on the limited information provided by you and subject to perusal of your documents.. Thanks..

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

307 votes

for that you can go to your relative and ask him why he has not transferred the car in his name. at the time when you sell the car you have done any receipt/agreement to sell the car to that particular name if this happen you can go to the authority and change the name because in that your father has signed after that there is no need to make any clarification.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles