Bank not honoring consumer court ruling. Where to complain about it?

If a bank does not honor a consumer court ruling, can it be booked for contempt of court? On filing a case in the consumer court against City Finance against their high rate of interest for home loans, the court decided the case in my favor and asked the bank to restructure their rate of interest and fined the bank Rs. 5000 as well.


It’s been 3 years now and no action has been taken from the bank’s side. Should I apply for contempt of court? How should I take this forward legally?




Yes, as per a recent decision of Allahabad High Court, it has been categorically held that anyone who does not abide by the ruling of the Consumer Forum can be charged with contempt of court as the High Court is empowered with the power to punish any one for the contempt of a court sub-ordinate to him and the Consumer forum is a court sub-ordinate to a High Court. So you can proceed with a contempt of court petition.


Otherwise, Consumer Courts are given vast powers for enforcement of their order. You can file an application for execution of the Order whereby the Consumer Court is empowered to order attachment of the property of the judgement-debtor.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Consumer Court Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Consumer Court Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Legal Notice for Delay in Construction

4.5 | 16 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
Legal Notice for Faulty Product / Services

4.4 | 197 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
15 Minutes Consumer Dispute Advice Session by Phone

4.6 | 77 ratings
Legal advice and answers from a local experienced advocate about your consumer dispute issue
Similar questions

Reliance Communications(RCOM) recently upgraded their CDMA network to 4G. Before the upgrade, they sent regular emails, the last one received on 4th J…

Read More

We hired packers for transportation for Total 14 items from Chennai to Hyderabad on 6th July 2018. 8 th July we recieved total of 13 items and one ite…

Read More

ordered a gold chain online and husband received a courier from the courier company ,found an empty box inside package and box, informed the retailer …

Read More

CTU Bus was going from Chandigarh to Delhi and I had to go till Karnal, half the way between Chandigarh to Delhi. But bus conductor did not allowed me…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue