In laws harassing and trying to take my daughter with them

In Child Custody Law
Due to some in laws issues i am residing at my parents place. Looking for a job My daughter is 3 yrs old. I need to know about child custody law. In laws threatens me to snatch my baby away from me. My in laws has taken all my gold given at the time of wedding and Bills of purchasing household items as they are in my name so that I can not claim on items. Now they want to take my daughter with them.

Answers (5)

99 votes

First you have not clarify your husband stand on whole issue. if in law threatens you can file 498a against in laws for cruelty.
but with proof make mobile clips or others proof. They can not take your child till she attains age of 5 but at the same time you have to show u can support her responsibly. for items you can file theft case against in laws if you have proof they belongs to you.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

165 votes

यदि आप अपनी 3 वर्षीय बच्ची की अच्छी परवरिश करने में सक्षम हैं , तो कोई भी आपको आपकी बच्ची से उसकी आयु 8 वर्ष की होने तक नहीं छीन सकता... भारतीय विधि व्यवस्था के अनुसार 8 वर्ष की आयु तक के बच्चों की कस्टडी उसकी माँ के पास ही होती है ( विशेष परिस्थिति के अतिरिक्त )।

Popular Child Custody Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
28 years Experience
Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
26 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
37 years Experience
101 votes

With respect to your query you can file a criminal complaint against them an with regard to your child they can not take it forcefully they have to file a case wih regard to tbe custudy of the child in you case the age is so less that even if they file a case no action with respect to the child can be made as the welfare of the child is to be looked

52 votes

As per The Hindu minority and guardianship act. the mother is the natural guardian of a hindu minor up to age of 5 years of the child. after the age of 5 the father would be the natural guardian. These are the guiding principle of law. however there are many others factors which are considered at the time of deciding custody of child such as relation between husband and wife, income of parents, age of child, welfare of child etc. your in laws can not take custody of your minor daughter. As far as your gold jewellery has been taken away, you can still claim all your property by filing case before the court.

243 votes

Hi, Your daughter is just 3 years old. In any case, your in-laws cannot claim for the child. The custody of the child can be claimed by your husband if the child is with you. The laws are in favor of mother for the children aged 5 years or below. However, the reality is that, the parent who has the child usually wins over the other as the child's mind is poisoned against the parent who is not living with her. So if you stay separate along with your daughter, your in laws do not have any claim over the child, but the father has and can avail visitation rights.
Best regards
Soma Pandey

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Child Custody Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles