Can child custody be filled if maintenance case is going on

Hi, I have filed a 498a on my husband in sep 2016 in rajahmundry. I have filed a maintenance case on Nov 2017. I have a 5 year old daughter who is currently in ukg, she will be going to first standard. Her father is irresponsible from the beginning, he never took care of her. From last two years, he didn't even speak or tried to contact the kid. He didn't even file for child custody or divorce. I am taking care of her completely even with respect to her finances are without compromising on standards. I am currently not working and we are staying with parents in rajahmundry. My kid is studying here in rajahmundry itself. Now, in aadhar of my kid, she inherits my surname whereas in birth certificate she has her father's surname. Can my child inherit my surname without any legal process? Can I file for complete child custody with maintenance case going on in parallel.

Answers (1)

183 votes

Yes you can file a case for custody of child it can go parallel with the cases you have filed as of now. Surname is something which can be as per father in most of the cases but as you have kept the same in aadhar it will be not much impact on it.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Child Custody Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Child Custody Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles