Cheque bounce case against me, can I ask for time to repay the amount

I started a pvt limited company but due to huge losses not able to run and closed operations. One of my cheque bounced and now court summon has come.I want to pay the person but need 2 months time.and want to avoid on going the date.Can I send the advocate and take a date further.

Answers (5)

235 votes

You should ideally go to the court and enter appearance. Once there is a commitment given to the court in a bonafide manner after discussing all the facts and circumstances with your advocate, getting two months should not be difficult. However, it needs to be carefully strategised within the four corners of law.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

133 votes

Yes, advocate can be go on your behalf, you cam also go on date, if you will request for further time for payment, judge can give you time for the same. Please don't avoid or miss the date because this is criminal matter , on the next date warrant may be issued by the Court against your non appearance.

Popular Cheque Bounce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
17 years Experience
276 votes

If You are ready and willing to pay -Cheque Bounce Case can easily be settled between the parties with mutual points of agreement . in that settlement terms you may also get your desired time subject to certain conditions of the opposite party for details consultancy you are always free to call and discuss further.

268 votes

Asking for time to pay and not appearing on the next date are two different things altogether.
As u intend to pay the complainant, U can seek time by entering into a compromise with him before the court itself. However, if u do not appear on the date of hearing, then warrants might be issued against u. So it is better that u appear before the court and seek time to pay. Time is usually granted by the court depending upon the intent of the complainant.

50 votes

Yes you can send your advocate but even you can also appear in the case need not worry and you can give your statement in the court that you will repay the alleged amount after a period of 2 months. Further more details are required.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles