Insurance company changed policy w/o telling me. Can i be compensated?
I purchased a motor insurance with 100% accidental repair cover / 0% Deppreciation and the next year when I paid the premium to renew the same a month ago, the 100% cover was removed without informing / asking me. I met with an accident recently and on going to the garage, I was denied the 100% debt coverage and I had to bear financial loss because of the same.
Now I want to be compensated and want my insurance to be renewed with the 100% debt. What is the legal recourse available to me?
Ideally when you renew an insurance policy, and do not pass on any instructions to the insurance company to change / modify the terms of your insurance, all the terms and conditions of your prior insurance policy are supposed to be carried on to your renewed insurance policy.
Said this, the merit of your appeal lies in the fact if you instructed your Insurance provider, through a renewal form which was duly filled and signed by you, to renew your Insurance policy or was it done through a regular procedure wherein you paid them a renewal premium cheque without filling in any renewal form.
In case you filled the renewal form, you might want to review the terms and conditions and the applicable benefits to be renewed. Was the 0% Depreciation benefit checked by you in the renewal form?
In the regular case, i.e. wherein you did not fill the renewal form and just gave the insurance provider a renewal cheque, you may claim to be compensated for the benefits of your previous insurance policy that should have by default be passed on to you.
You must make a written representation to the zonal Insurance Company office stating all the facts as mentioned in your query and as per suggestion provided above. In case you do not get the desired relief, you may send them a Legal Notice through a Lawyer to get you the required compensation failing which, you may approach the Consumer Court for the deficiency of services rendered to you by your Insurance Provider.
Kindly contact us if you would like to initiate the process of sending across a Legal Notice in case the written representation to the Insurance company does not get you the desired relief.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Insurance Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Entered into sale agreement. Buyer did not come after paying advance.
- Payment Procedure
- Company deducted bond amount and is not making other payments
- What are the procedures involved in filing a case in consumer court
- Procedure to correct name of 12th marksheet