Insurance company changed policy w/o telling me. Can i be compensated?

I purchased a motor insurance with 100% accidental repair cover / 0% Deppreciation and the next year when I paid the premium to renew the same a month ago, the 100% cover was removed without informing / asking me. I met with an accident recently and on going to the garage, I was denied the 100% debt coverage and I had to bear financial loss because of the same.


Now I want to be compensated and want my insurance to be renewed with the 100% debt. What is the legal recourse available to me?




Ideally when you renew an insurance policy, and do not pass on any instructions to the insurance company to change / modify the terms of your insurance, all the terms and conditions of your prior insurance policy are supposed to be carried on to your renewed insurance policy.


Said this, the merit of your appeal lies in the fact if you instructed your Insurance provider, through a renewal form which was duly filled and signed by you, to renew your Insurance policy or was it done through a regular procedure wherein you paid them a renewal premium cheque without filling in any renewal form.


In case you filled the renewal form, you might want to review the terms and conditions and the applicable benefits to be renewed. Was the 0% Depreciation benefit checked by you in the renewal form?


In the regular case, i.e. wherein you did not fill the renewal form and just gave the insurance provider a renewal cheque, you may claim to be compensated for the benefits of your previous insurance policy that should have by default be passed on to you.


You must make a written representation to the zonal Insurance Company office stating all the facts as mentioned in your query and as per suggestion provided above. In case you do not get the desired relief, you may send them a Legal Notice through a Lawyer to get you the required compensation failing which, you may approach the Consumer Court for the deficiency of services rendered to you by your Insurance Provider.


Kindly contact us if you would like to initiate the process of sending across a Legal Notice in case the written representation to the Insurance company does not get you the desired relief.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Insurance Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Insurance Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

To whom it may concern, I am a 35 yr single female planning to get a Mediclaim policy but everytime I am unable to do so because I want to take family…

Read More

Sahara india not make maturity After six months of due date…

Read More

My bike which released in supardari is stolen now. Now how to get claim from the insurance company…

Read More

Hi, one of my friend took my car, and get it wrecked. He filed a insurance claim for my car, and we got the insurance amount. But problem came after t…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue