quesIs there any law to stop family member from contacting and meeting me?

Is there any law in India wherein it allows an adult to abstain him / her family members from contacting / meeting her? If yes, how can it be done?


Kindly help.


  • ans

    Yes, there is a legal recourse for the situation you have stated.


    There are two options available to you:


    1. Civil: You can file a Suit for Injunction in the competent civil court praying for a permanent injunction / Restraining Order against your family members.


    Section 37(2) of the Specific Relief Act states that a permanent injunction can only be granted on the merits of the suit; the defendant is thereby perpetually enjoined from the assertion of a right, or from the commission of an act, which would be contrary to the rights of the plaintiff. 


    So you need to establish as to how your rights are being effected by the acts of your family member and why should the Restraining Order be passed.


    2. Criminal: You can also lodge a criminal complaint for registration of an FIR against your family members for violation of your rights. (To properly guide you with respect to this, we need more details as to how your family members are effecting you)


    Both Filing of Criminal Complaint for registration of FIR and filing of Civil "Suit For Injunction" can be done simultaneously also as both civil and criminal remedies are independent from each other and one's outcome does not affect other.


  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Consult best Family lawyers in India

Family Lawyers in India

Advocate Vishal V Birajdar

  Andheri West
 Experience: 11 years

Advocate Namrata Jayakar

 Experience: 14 years

Advocate Richaa Kapoor

  Delhi High Court
 Experience: 25 years

Advocate Karunasish Chakraborty

  Old Post office street
 Experience: 27 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly