×

quescan the jewellery given to my daughter be taken back

I got married in 2000 and got divorced in Jun-2001 through mutual consent. We have a daughter age 6 yrs, who stays with me. In Dec-2001 my ex-mother-in-law expired. Me and my daughter attended and did all her last rites as my daughter was very much attached to her. As per late mother-in-law's wish, my ex-father-in-law gave my daughter his wife's jewellery. My ex-husband got remarried in 2009. As per court's order, he is suppose to pay me alimony every month, which he did regularly untill now. He is also suppose to take care of my daughter's expenses. I don't bother him for small things except her education expense. Now, this year when I asked him to pay the fees, he replied us to sell his mother's jewellery and pay the fees, which obviously I don't want to do as it has sentiments attached. My question is, can he force me to return the jewellery for his second wife or sell the same to substitute alimony and daughter's expense?

• ansjewellery what your daughter is received according to wishes of your mother in law and it is gift, so your ex-husband has no right to claim the jewels and if he did not pay the maintenance then you have to approach the court by way of execution as he has to follow the order of the court and if he failed to pay the education expenses of the daughter.