Will proved in court. Can the property in Will be sold w/o problems?

If probate decision on an unregistered holograph WILL is taken once in our (we are the legatees) favor i.e., the WILL is proved completely, can we sell the property bequeathed in the WILL without any obstacles? The property is in Bangalore, Karnataka.


Does ‘judgement in rem’ means that after the probate decision in our favor, the WILL and the decision cannot be challenged on any grounds?




We will have to examine the Will first and then we can provide you our opinion. We will have to see that what is given by your father in the Will. If it is the whole house, then yes, you will have to seek consent of your brother staying in that house and thereafter sell your portion by executing a Sale Deed.


Now, the challenging question which comes before you is that how will you define your portion and thus for the same you have two options:


1. Firstly, amicably decide with your brother your share of portion.


2. In case the above mentioned point is not agreeable, then you will have to seek partition which is only possible when you file a Suit for Partition.


Therefore, detailed legal opinion can be given only after examining the Will. 


With respect to you second question also, whether does ‘judgement in rem’ means that after the probate decision in our favor, the WILL and the decision cannot be challenged on any grounds? The answer for the same is "A judgment in rem is an adjudication, pronounced upon the status of some particular subject-matter, by a tribunal having competent authority for that purpose.It is generally said to be a judgment declaratory of the status of some subject-matter, whether this be a person or a thing. Thus, the probate of a Will fixes the status of the document as a will.  Hence the Probate order confirms the Will to be valid.


Now, whether you can challenge the Probate order or not is a separate question and we can provide you the legal opinion only after examining the copy of Probate order.   


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Wills / Trusts Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
34 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Wills / Trusts Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Will at Home

No Ratings
30 Min Intro Call + Start to finish help - Will drafted at home by a local experienced advocate
15 Minutes Wills / Trusts Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 351 ratings
Legal advice and answers from a local experienced advocate about your Will / Trust issue
Create a Trust

4.8 | 132 ratings
30 Min Intro Call + Start to finish help - Create a Trust through a local experienced advocate
Probate of Will

4.6 | 73 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Filing for Probate of Will through a local experienced advocate
Document Review - Will

4.4 | 122 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Will review by a local experienced advocate
Draft a Will

4.8 | 276 ratings
30 Min Intro Call + Start to finish help - A customised Will drafted by a local experienced advocate
Similar questions

So grandfather left his property to my father. My father got remarried a couple of years ago but he wants to leave this property to me, his son. Can m…

Read More

can uncle write a will in my name if the property is in Joint name of Uncle and Aunty both?…

Read More

I am owner of 6 year old cbse affliated sr.sec school. Now trust wants to change the school. I just want to know the legal formalities for the same. H…

Read More

plaintiff claims to be adopted son of D1 filed a suit for partition. D1 denied adoption and claims that all properties are his self acquistions. D1 di…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue