quesAddition of witness name - Requirement in law

Unregistered typed unprivileged WILL, 2 witness names are mentioned. Testator signed at its position. Second attesting witness signs against his name and position marked for 1st attesting witness. 1st attesting witness has not signed(alleged it was not possible to reach). Her name not been cut from the WILL. Some other known person put its signature and also sign as Witness No. 2.. This addition of other person as witness has not been typed in WILL and nor this addition of other person has been counter signed by TESTATOR. Can it be said the other person is a valid witness? Relevant case law?

  • ans

    The main role of witnesses is to ensure that you have the mental capacity and intent to make a will. An attorney will ask “is this your will” in front of witnesses. The witnesses have the ability to observe you and your actions during this time.

    Although as per law  proper name and signature should be affixed on the Will. However as per the Delhi High Court in a recently reported decision [ANITA KHOSLA v. STATE 2010 173 DLT 290] has declared that one witness was sufficient in order to determine the validity of a will.


    The Court held that it was not obligatory to examine both the witnesses to a will to come and testify in order to determine the genuineness of a will


    We suggest you to apply for Probate petition  if the Witness is alive then he testify in order to determine the genuineness of a will.


  • Draft Your Will With Expert Lawyers
    Know More

    Click here to see all Wills / Trusts Legal Services
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Wills / Trusts Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Wills / Trusts lawyers in India

Similar questions

My grandfather had three son. He made registered will and give whole property share to…
I want to know that, my father had made a will and gave some share…

In our family one of Member has lost her father....They are three Sister and 2…

Wills / Trusts Lawyers in India

Advocate R C Mahajan

  Paschim Vihar
 Experience: 23 years

Advocate Namrata Jayakar

 Experience: 14 years

Advocate Saurabh Dalal

  Punjab and Haryana High Court
 Experience: 11 years

Advocate Riddhi Shah

  Borivali East
 Experience: 11 years

View all >>