Rights of daughter on fathers property

My grandfather has a property in coorg. He has 4 children , 2 girls and 2 boys. He passed away when my mom was 18 years old without leaving a will. My grandmother is still alive, however most recently my grandmother wrote a will where in she name her two sons as the sole owners of the land. We would like to know in this case will my mom and her sister have any rights to inherit the property left by their father? Thank you

Answers (1)

388 votes
According to recent Supreme Court Judgment, if the father died after September 2005 then daughters will have equal share in the self acquired property of the father and it will be distributed among all the legal heirs and your mother can claim for equal share in the self acquired property of your father. 
If father passed away before September 2005 the daughters will have no share in the property. 
But if the property was an ancestral property then the property will be distributed according to the Hindu Succession Act. 

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles