In-laws died wants to divide the property sister-in-law creating issue

My mother in law expired in 2013 and father in law expired Feb 2018. My sister in law is not married and she will get marry this year. Our only house is on father in law,'s name and now sis in law demanding either extra 25lac apart from liquid money from father's bank accounts or the house should be on her name and she will give us 25lac. Please suggest what to do and how we get out of this as we don't that much amount to give. We discussed that she can take all cash available in bank and other FDs against house but she want extra 25lac

Answers (3)

231 votes

Respected sir/ ma'am,
As a matter of right your sister in law in entitled to get a share from her father's property. She is lawfully guarded and entitled to get share in her father's property. However, for more clarity please tell that whether your father in law has executed a will or has died intestate?

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

75 votes

Before coming to your query and answer of it, first of all let me clarify few facts. 1) Who are the heirs of your father in law? Is there only two sisters or else also? 2) Are you belongs to Hindu Family or under any other cast? 3) Between whom you want to share the property of your father in law? 4) Whether you want to divide your property as it is or divide after selling it?
I will definitely help you but before giving proper consultation these facts is required to know.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
203 votes

As per the law your sister in law having 1/3 right on her fathers property so you go threw that procedure by that you may canclued what exactly she is demanding and what is her right as per law so that you can understand.

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles