Grandson's right in grandfather's property

We belong to Sikh religion.My father lives in their grandfather house for 20 years they have proof.My father's grandfather treat my father as their son. My father's grandfather has 4 children ,three son and one daughter .One son has died .My father's grandfather does not make a will for anyone .And now if my father wants a share from their grandfather my father has right to ask for share .My grandfather if does not want to give share to my my father can take action from their father.? Can anyone help me out from this problem.Is grandson has rights on their grandfather property?

Answers (3)

257 votes

Sasriyakal paji file a suit for admitted partition where three brothers and one sister give a statement before the court with ws we have no obejection to equal partition of everyone accirding to the appointment of local commissioner report.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

124 votes

The personal law governing Sikhs in terms of intestate succession (case where person has not made a will) is the Hindu Succession Act, 1956. All class one heirs have a right on their father's property but a grandson does not, unless he is the son of a predeceased son. i.e. if your father's father passed away before your grandfather then he will have the right to succession. Your father can file for a partition suit in the local civil court under which he is eligible for 1/5th share of the ancestral property.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience
238 votes

Sir your father can apply for partition through the court and file the petition only if it is the ancestral property and if it is self acquired property of your grandfather then your father cannot claim any thing.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles