Declaration of title and adverse possession

A person had executed agreement to sale in 1967 with my grandfather later he denied to execute sale deed and filed suit against grandfather for forcibly possession and later conteded time essence of contract on his allegations court said that he has not found cause of action and dismissed his suit with cost and ordered that purchaser has legal possession and his remedy for specific performance is not barred by limitation. But we not file suit for specific performance at the same time we have 50 years possession now I have filed suit for declaration of title and adverse possession . Is it maintainable? Sellers legal heirs have counterclaimed to recover possession (cause of action is I filed suit ) It says that adverse possession can be only defense by defendant, then what will be next step or strategy? Can I take advantage of counterclaim by filling rejoinder.

Answers (2)

255 votes

They are right by saying that adverse possession is defence only and suit seeking declaration of owership on basis of aderse possession is not maintanable. Now supreme Court has passed such verdict. So prima facie your suit is not maintanable for that relief. But even you have not filed suit for specific performance, you can protect possession over property if you proved that you was and is ready and willing to performed your part of obligation mentioned in the agreement.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

165 votes

It is true that adverse possession can only be claimed as defense. Moreover to claim adverse possession you have to accept that some one else is the owner. Consult a local lawyer specially dealing in property matters and see what he has to say. If possible I say that withdraw the suit.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles