Daughters right in father's property

My query is in light of a Supreme Court judgement on legal right of a daughter in father’s own purchased property. My father expired in 1986, leaving no Will. Our family has my mother, two sisters and me. I am the middle child (son). Who is the beneficiary of the house property that was in my father’s name? i am paying the property tax.

Answers (1)

154 votes

Dear client, after the Supreme judgement in "Prakash vs Phulvati" (passed in 2015) (based upon amendment in section 6 of Hindu Succession Act in 2005), now girls also have equal right in the property left by parents (ie if parents expired or partition is opened on or after 9th September 2005 amendment). Now, in your case, succession opened in the year 1986, on the date of death of your father. After his death, his property vested in your mother and you ie 1/2 share each. As such, your sisters cannot claim right in the partition which opened up in 1986. Though they have every right in the partition that opens up on or after 9th sept.2005.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles