Pronounced talaq three times. What should be my step to divorce her?

Hello, I got married 2005 and have been living in Noida without my wife for more than 4 years. I wanted a divorce and my wife has been blackmailing me about it. This year in January I pronounced "talaq" 3 times and have stayed away from my family (including my 8 year old son). My parents have decided to be with my wife and support her as she has been threatening to put a dowry case. I am firm on my decision and want to divorce her.I don' have any intentions to go back to my family and want to re-marry. What should be my next steps in order to have a legal divorce, I dont want child custody

Answers (1)

425 votes

Muslims may get separated either through the process of the courts or according to their own personal laws. Pronouncing talaq in accordance with your personal law (different for shia/sunnis) would be sufficient. You may also divorce your wife with a written talaq and even by an ila (abstaining from all conjugal relationships)

If you would like to involve the process of the courts then you may file a petition under the Muslim Marriage Act. You could set up grounds such as cruelty. You may also require to file for anticipatory bail for you and your family to protect yourself from a arrest based on a false case. This may put your parents at ease and bring them back to your side.

In any event, you can proceed with or without your parents support. Your wife may be entitled to claim maintenance and custody depending on your situation.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Muslim Law Lawyers

Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Sudershani Ray
Kailash Hills, Delhi
14 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
18 years Experience
Advocate Suksham Aggarwal
Punjab and Haryana High Court, Chandigarh
8 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Muslim Law Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles