Eviction of tenancy of liquor shop & having Xerox copy of agreement

I am having one shop which I gave on rent to liquor shop. I did agreement on 100 rs stamp paper. But I didn't do notary of that agreement and now I am having only xerox of that agreement. Original copy is with tenant. that document and xerox contain my and tenant signature. Also that agreement contain period of agreement. Now I want that shop back. So can I use that xerox copy as a evidence for asking them to leave my shop?

Answers (1)

188 votes

Hi. I presume that the agreement entered by you with liquor shop person is a leave and license agreement. It is always prudent to get leave and license agreement registered with Sub Registrar so that there is a record and to prevent the tenant from setting up any adverse claim against your ownership. I need to check the agreement. If it contains a termination clause prior to expiry of license period, then you can issue a termination notice to the licensee to vacate the shop and handover possession to you within the notice period. If he defaults then you will have to file an eviction suit in specialised court which deals with landlord tenant disputes exclusively. So first issue a termination notice and see what the tenant responds. Even if you are having only a photo copy of the agreement, your title to the shop doesn't get affected unless the tenant sets up an adverse claim against you. If at all the tenant is claiming ownership right over the shop, then you will have to file an eviction suit I'm a civil court or high court depending on the market value of the shop. Simultaneous to such civil suit you can also file a police complaint against tenant for criminal trespass.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
13 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."